My classic excuses don’t wash in an online era; the dog ate my Song of the Day blogpost, I’m certain I put it in my bag when I left school, bull like that.
I know, right. It’s been a while since my last Song of the Day, a post I promised on a daily basis but failed, miserably. I got nothing, no excuse that’ll wash. But the moment you hear this tune from John Smith and Jolyon Dixon, the duo known as Illingworth, you’ll understand the need to bring it back.
They’re the Kenco of local music, instantly, each new song comes across as a rock classic, sounding as if it’s always been swimming around in your head.
But Man Made of Glass is emotionally topical and contemporary. Just, go on, have a listen, and I might be persuaded to realign my promise to bring you a song of the day each day, else I’ll have to change the title to song of the month, which is a bit lack lusture of me.
Pulling my finger out, if you’re looking for someone to blame; Netflix. There, it’s out there. Why has every fair idea got to be flipping twelve season series of 200 episodes each, consisting of a drawn-out narrative a better writer could’ve concluded in a hour and half movie? For God’s sake, bring back live music!
Anyway, I’m waffling, feel free to stop me; that’s my song of the day. Very good, carry on….
- HAVING A BABY AND THE S**T THEY DON’T TELL YOU26th and 27th May 2023Wharf Theatre, DevizesPerformed and written by Lou Cox Review by Helen Edwards I will start this review with a trigger warning. … Continue reading “HAVING A BABY AND THE S**T THEY DON’T TELL YOU”
- Alex Roberts and Fly Yeti Fly @ The Barge HoneystreetBen Niamor First time for me in the barn venue, it’s a great space. Alex is no stranger to this place, and it feels like … Continue reading “Alex Roberts and Fly Yeti Fly @ The Barge Honeystreet”
- Devizes Street Festival; Day OneIf I can, which I think is best after one too many visits to the Stealth bar, sum today in Devizes up in a word, … Continue reading “Devizes Street Festival; Day One”
- Deadlight Dance: Innocent BeginningsMarlborough’s darkwave-goth duo, Deadlight Dance push their boundaries to new limits with their second single, Innocent Beginnings this week, and it’s a corker of goth … Continue reading “Deadlight Dance: Innocent Beginnings”
- Nothing Rhymes With Orange have ButterfliesIf Lidl Shoes, April’s blast from our aspiring homegrown four-piece indie-punkers, Nothing Rhymes With Orange certainty raised the rafters with energetic enthusiasm, I held subtle … Continue reading “Nothing Rhymes With Orange have Butterflies”
- Your Place, or Mine? Devizes Town Council Squabbles Over Meeting Venue!I’ve a mildly interesting word origin urban myth to bore you with before we begin on an opinion piece about the latest petty squabbling at … Continue reading “Your Place, or Mine? Devizes Town Council Squabbles Over Meeting Venue!”
- Song of the Week: Canute’s Plastic ArmySwindon’s acoustic Celtic folk duo Canute’s Plastic Army played the Southgate in Devizes last Saturday; though firmly on my never-ending must-see-list, even just the name … Continue reading “Song of the Week: Canute’s Plastic Army”
- Weekly Roundup of Events in Wiltshire: 24th-30th May 2023OMG, OMG, another bank holiday weekend coming up, who’s excited, who’s coming out to play?! Here’s what we’ve found this week, find the info and … Continue reading “Weekly Roundup of Events in Wiltshire: 24th-30th May 2023”
- Female of the Species Announce 2023 Date!For eight years on the trot, minus the lockdown year no one needs reminding of, local all-female supergroup, The Female of the Species have performed … Continue reading “Female of the Species Announce 2023 Date!”
- Exploring Frome at Night; Does Every Town Need a Cheese and Grain?Finally crawled out of my Hobbit-hole this weekend after a shilly-shallying period of making do with BGT on the telebox, and what better way to … Continue reading “Exploring Frome at Night; Does Every Town Need a Cheese and Grain?”