Naarm/Melbourne-based singer-songwriter, Maple Glider releasesd a new single today, “Good Thing.”
Her striking emotionality is at the centre of her performance, which opens with her light and velvety voice accompanied by a sparsely strummed guitar. She wastes no time in revealing the state of sadness she’s in, offering such tenderness and introspection that the listener feels as though they’re inside her bedroom as she plays for herself. Eschewing a traditional chorus, the repeated refrain is more a bookend to each verse. The emotional apex hits in verse three, turning the song into a spectral folk powerhouse with the revelation that she’s cutting ties before things turn sour.
Ziestch explains: “I wrote this song out of a place of defeat. I was really heartbroken at this point, and very confused. I like the feeling of my independence and I think I was afraid of putting energy into the wrong people. Sometimes we make decisions out of fear and sometimes it’s because we know that it is the best decision to make. Those lines can get very blurry.”
And that’s my song of the day. Very good, carry on….
- Plastic Free Devizes?I’m guilty, I admit, I think many of us are, driven by a hurtling civilisation, an archaic method of consumer comfort, but 38.5 million plastic … Continue reading “Plastic Free Devizes?”
- Does Wiltshire Council’s Climate Strategy Lack Ambition and Commitment?A month after Wiltshire Council’s Climate Strategy was criticised by the Wiltshire Climate Alliance for lacking “ambition and commitment to achieving its goal of seeking … Continue reading “Does Wiltshire Council’s Climate Strategy Lack Ambition and Commitment?”
- Female of the Species Blow the Roof of The Assembly Hall, for CarmelaEntertainment events in the county blossoming out of lockdown came to a pinnacle this weekend. We were spoiled for choice, and without cloning technology the … Continue reading “Female of the Species Blow the Roof of The Assembly Hall, for Carmela”
- Boo! Spooky Halloween Happenings for Everyone!Fantastic and spooky image of St Johns, Devizes, used with permission from Simon Folkard Photography I say everyone, but it’s the inbetweenies always at a … Continue reading “Boo! Spooky Halloween Happenings for Everyone!”
- The Devizes Eisteddfod for November; Closing date for Entries is TuesdayClosing date for Entries is Tuesday 12th October, for The Devizes Eisteddfod, a five-day competitive festival of music, drama, speech, dance, writing, art and photography … Continue reading “The Devizes Eisteddfod for November; Closing date for Entries is Tuesday”
- Barry Reviews Strange Folk at The Southgate!Well, what can I say? They might lose a couple of brownie points for the singer continuously referring to me as “Barry,” but Somerset-Hampshire psych-folk … Continue reading “Barry Reviews Strange Folk at The Southgate!”
- Nought to 60 with the Near Jazz ExperienceFooled by my own fool proof system must make me more of a fool than I give myself credit for. It’s an elderly memory malfunction … Continue reading “Nought to 60 with the Near Jazz Experience”
- Freya Beer’s BeastDriving my inner-goth, I’m comfortable with this, because London-based Freya Beer’s voice is hauntingly alluring, similar to Nina Persson of The Cardigans, or more obviously, … Continue reading “Freya Beer’s Beast”
- And the Winner of our Gary Delaney Competition is….And there we have it, our competition to win two tickets to Gary Delaney at the Corn Exchange has come to closing date for entries; … Continue reading “And the Winner of our Gary Delaney Competition is….”
- CSF Professional Wrestling celebrate 23 years of live events as the Corn Exchange23 years of wrestling, is a lot of wrestling, I’ve got to wonder if I’d manage 23 seconds in the ring. Because if you know … Continue reading “CSF Professional Wrestling celebrate 23 years of live events as the Corn Exchange”