Local enviromental campaigners are calling on Devizes Town Council to designate ten areas of land around Drews Pond Wood as Local Green Spaces due to their importance for wildlife, health and wellbeing as well as historical significance.
Please sign the petition, here.
Drews Pond Wood Project has looked after the Local Nature Reserve since 1990 to keep it as a special place for wildlife and a resource for local people. They are asking for your help to get more protection for the wood and its surroundings.
The Local Plan and Neighbourhood Plan are being reviewed. These plans will decide where to put hundreds more houses in Devizes. These plans shouldn’t just be about where to put development – they also need to identify areas that are special and important for people and wildlife so that they can be protected for the future.
The National Planning Framework enables communities to identify and protect areas that are of value to them through Local and Neighbourhood Plans by designating Local Green Space. This designation ensures strong development restrictions on an area.
Make no mistake, Drew’s Pond Wood has been earmarked for development, though the application has been rejected, this doesn’t protect the area should future applications are made.
Thanks goes to local environmentalist, Joe Brindle and his team for creating the campaign and raising awareness of this. It is supported by the Drew’s Pond Wood Project.
Please sign the petition, here.
- REVIEW – Gigspanner @ Pound Arts Centre, Corsham – Tuesday 29th November 2022A Night Of Extreme Violins Andy Fawthrop Yes, I know it’s not in Devizes, but it’s pretty darned close. And it was definitely worth the … Continue reading “REVIEW – Gigspanner @ Pound Arts Centre, Corsham – Tuesday 29th November 2022”
- Devizes Carnival Returning to Traditional DateSomething I’m personally impartial about, though DOCA’s carnival consultation flagged it as a major issue for many, the recent date changes of carnival is set … Continue reading “Devizes Carnival Returning to Traditional Date”
- Illingworth Celebrate Their 100th Gig!Salisbury-based acoustic rock duo John Illingworth Smith and Jolyon Dixon play The High Post Golf Club, between Amesbury and Salisbury this Friday 2nd December, and … Continue reading “Illingworth Celebrate Their 100th Gig!”
- Weekly Roundup of Events in Wiltshire: 30th November – 6th December 2022No point in amending your bad behaviour now, far too late; you’ve got to have been good all year round to get on the good … Continue reading “Weekly Roundup of Events in Wiltshire: 30th November – 6th December 2022”
- Mighty Mighty; The Scribes Storm the Muck!Another fantabulous evening at Devizes’ tropical holiday resort, The Muck and Dunder rum bar, where Bristol’s boom bap trio I’ve been hailing since day dot, … Continue reading “Mighty Mighty; The Scribes Storm the Muck!”
- Dr John Otway Rocks Trowbridge’s PumpBy Lorraine Briggs The last time Otway played Trowbridge was in July 2003 at the Village Pump Festival, he returned last night to a gig … Continue reading “Dr John Otway Rocks Trowbridge’s Pump”
- DOCA Step into Christmas!As sparkly as Elton John at his most sparkliest, Devizes Outdoor Celebratory Arts pulled the tinsel out of bag for the annual Winter Festival yesterday … Continue reading “DOCA Step into Christmas!”
- Devizes First Ever Life-Size Advent CalenderFor the first time, Devizes will have its own life-size interactive Advent Calendar starting from the 1st of December. Devizes Adventure is a community event … Continue reading “Devizes First Ever Life-Size Advent Calender”
- Unemployment is a Choice, Says Wiltshire PCC Phillip WilkinsonYou’ve got to love social media for its provision into the ethics of those in positions of power. It’s beggar’s belief why no-one in the … Continue reading “Unemployment is a Choice, Says Wiltshire PCC Phillip Wilkinson”
- Devizine Podcast Pilot!Okay, so, everyone is doing a podcast these days, and I’m a sucker which finds it impossible to go against the grain. Here’s my pathetic … Continue reading “Devizine Podcast Pilot!”