Local enviromental campaigners are calling on Devizes Town Council to designate ten areas of land around Drews Pond Wood as Local Green Spaces due to their importance for wildlife, health and wellbeing as well as historical significance.
Please sign the petition, here.
Drews Pond Wood Project has looked after the Local Nature Reserve since 1990 to keep it as a special place for wildlife and a resource for local people. They are asking for your help to get more protection for the wood and its surroundings.
The Local Plan and Neighbourhood Plan are being reviewed. These plans will decide where to put hundreds more houses in Devizes. These plans shouldn’t just be about where to put development – they also need to identify areas that are special and important for people and wildlife so that they can be protected for the future.
The National Planning Framework enables communities to identify and protect areas that are of value to them through Local and Neighbourhood Plans by designating Local Green Space. This designation ensures strong development restrictions on an area.
Make no mistake, Drew’s Pond Wood has been earmarked for development, though the application has been rejected, this doesn’t protect the area should future applications are made.
Thanks goes to local environmentalist, Joe Brindle and his team for creating the campaign and raising awareness of this. It is supported by the Drew’s Pond Wood Project.
Please sign the petition, here.
- A Beginner’s Introduction to Oils in All Cannings with Arts TogetherA little-known personal fact, at the tender age of twelve I won a posh set of Windsor & Newton oil paints via a Kellogg’s competition, … Continue reading “A Beginner’s Introduction to Oils in All Cannings with Arts Together”
- Hometown Gig for Nothing Rhymes with OrangeFirst one in what I hope to be a series diverting negative local social media hysteria about wayward youths in our area, must be a … Continue reading “Hometown Gig for Nothing Rhymes with Orange”
- Gazette & Herald to Buy Out DevizineIn a deal I’ve been trying to clench for a year now, Newsquest, owners of Wiltshire based newspapers, including the Gazette & Herald have taken … Continue reading “Gazette & Herald to Buy Out Devizine”
- Wharf-ing Back To Happiness!Do you remember the wonderful sounds of The Shadows and The Tornadoes beaming across the airwaves from Radio Caroline with their spellbinding instrumentals; Apache, Foot … Continue reading “Wharf-ing Back To Happiness!”
- Catherine Read to stand as Green Party Parliamentary candidate for DevizesLast Week, the Green Party announced Catherine Read as their candidate for the next General Election in Devizes…..And I know what many will have to … Continue reading “Catherine Read to stand as Green Party Parliamentary candidate for Devizes”
- Song of the Week: Talk in CodeYou can’t stay on the sunny side of the street; you’ve got to cross over at some point. But if the blurb I’m sent for … Continue reading “Song of the Week: Talk in Code”
- REVIEW – Measure For Measure @ Wharf Theatre, Devizes – Monday 27th March 2023First Night Triumph by Andy Fawthrop Images used with kind permission of Chris Watkins Media Again it was a real pleasure to bowl along to … Continue reading “REVIEW – Measure For Measure @ Wharf Theatre, Devizes – Monday 27th March 2023”
- Weekly Roundup of Events in Wiltshire: 29th March – 4th April 2023Here we go, headlong into April with lots to do.…. Said it before, I’ll say it again, more stuff will be added, this is published … Continue reading “Weekly Roundup of Events in Wiltshire: 29th March – 4th April 2023”
- Poetika Open Mic Night The Winchester gate, Salisbury. Tues 21st March 2023By Helen Edwards A few weeks ago whilst scrolling through social media an advert for this event came up. Intrigued and having never been to a … Continue reading “Poetika Open Mic Night The Winchester gate, Salisbury. Tues 21st March 2023”
- Concrete Prairie at The SouthgateWithout cloning technology it was another Saturday night dilemma still as easily solved; Concrete Prairie were at The Gate, arm twisted…. From The Barge to … Continue reading “Concrete Prairie at The Southgate”