Local enviromental campaigners are calling on Devizes Town Council to designate ten areas of land around Drews Pond Wood as Local Green Spaces due to their importance for wildlife, health and wellbeing as well as historical significance.
Please sign the petition, here.
Drews Pond Wood Project has looked after the Local Nature Reserve since 1990 to keep it as a special place for wildlife and a resource for local people. They are asking for your help to get more protection for the wood and its surroundings.
The Local Plan and Neighbourhood Plan are being reviewed. These plans will decide where to put hundreds more houses in Devizes. These plans shouldn’t just be about where to put development – they also need to identify areas that are special and important for people and wildlife so that they can be protected for the future.
The National Planning Framework enables communities to identify and protect areas that are of value to them through Local and Neighbourhood Plans by designating Local Green Space. This designation ensures strong development restrictions on an area.
Make no mistake, Drew’s Pond Wood has been earmarked for development, though the application has been rejected, this doesn’t protect the area should future applications are made.
Thanks goes to local environmentalist, Joe Brindle and his team for creating the campaign and raising awareness of this. It is supported by the Drew’s Pond Wood Project.
Please sign the petition, here.
- The Next Wharf Theatre Production Will Be Glorious!How will the Wharf Theatre follow the huge success of Jesus Christ Superstar? I can tell you this much; it will be Glorious! How do … Continue reading “The Next Wharf Theatre Production Will Be Glorious!”
- Remembering Sinclair’s ZX SpectrumOkay, given the news of the sad passing of Sir Clive Sinclair last week, guaranteed you’ll see lots of photos of him in his scarf, … Continue reading “Remembering Sinclair’s ZX Spectrum”
- Pumpkins & Poppies with Devizes Town BandIn six weeks, the historic Devizes Town Band will be performing at their first indoor concert for two years! On Sunday 31st October, Devizes Town … Continue reading “Pumpkins & Poppies with Devizes Town Band”
- We Care Bear Selfie Sculpture“We want to be there for every seriously ill child that needs us,” say Julia’s House, “but to care for families in your community, we … Continue reading “We Care Bear Selfie Sculpture”
- Onika Venus Smooths Trowbridge Town HallA truly wonderful night was had at Trowbridge Town Hall with soul-reggae artist Onika Venus and band…. Agreed, you may have to sift through wildly … Continue reading “Onika Venus Smooths Trowbridge Town Hall”
- REVIEW – Creedence Clearwater Review – Long Street Blues Club – Saturday 18th September 2021Up Around The Blues Club By Andy Fawthrop Well, it’d been a long old time but finally – finally! – we were back after 18 … Continue reading “REVIEW – Creedence Clearwater Review – Long Street Blues Club – Saturday 18th September 2021”
- REVIEW: Strakers’ Devizes Comedy – Corn Exchange – Friday 17th September 2021You’ve Got To Laugh by Andy Fawthrop It really feels as if the old times are back with the very welcome return of Strakers’ Comedy … Continue reading “REVIEW: Strakers’ Devizes Comedy – Corn Exchange – Friday 17th September 2021”
- Eric Ravilious: Downland ManUnique exhibition to open at Wiltshire Museum Featured Image: The Westbury White Horse © Towner Eastbourne Finally opening at Wiltshire Museum on 25 September 2021 … Continue reading “Eric Ravilious: Downland Man“
- Real Cheesemakers go Head-to-Head with Professor Elemental in ChippenhamSo, you’re planning to go out-out, the decision rests on music or a night of comedy. An unnecessary dilemma, no need for a crystal ball, … Continue reading “Real Cheesemakers go Head-to-Head with Professor Elemental in Chippenham”
- Spearmint’s Holland ParkAs spacey as Spaceman 3, I get a whopping chunk of cleansed retro Madchester with the opening of Holland Park, the new album from one … Continue reading “Spearmint’s Holland Park”