Local enviromental campaigners are calling on Devizes Town Council to designate ten areas of land around Drews Pond Wood as Local Green Spaces due to their importance for wildlife, health and wellbeing as well as historical significance.
Please sign the petition, here.
Drews Pond Wood Project has looked after the Local Nature Reserve since 1990 to keep it as a special place for wildlife and a resource for local people. They are asking for your help to get more protection for the wood and its surroundings.
The Local Plan and Neighbourhood Plan are being reviewed. These plans will decide where to put hundreds more houses in Devizes. These plans shouldn’t just be about where to put development – they also need to identify areas that are special and important for people and wildlife so that they can be protected for the future.
The National Planning Framework enables communities to identify and protect areas that are of value to them through Local and Neighbourhood Plans by designating Local Green Space. This designation ensures strong development restrictions on an area.
Make no mistake, Drew’s Pond Wood has been earmarked for development, though the application has been rejected, this doesn’t protect the area should future applications are made.
Thanks goes to local environmentalist, Joe Brindle and his team for creating the campaign and raising awareness of this. It is supported by the Drew’s Pond Wood Project.
Please sign the petition, here.
- Devizes; an LGBTQ+-Friendly Community, a Devizes Pride?As a new local Facebook page for the LGBTQ+ community, Devizes Lgbtq+ springs to life, I’m left wondering exactly what social and counsel interactions are … Continue reading “Devizes; an LGBTQ+-Friendly Community, a Devizes Pride?”
- Planks Dairies Introduces Locally Sourced Organic Dairy RangeNow, I know what you’re asking; aren’t you in someway affiliated with Planks’ Dairies, in which case isn’t this a shameless advertorial? Yes, and no, … Continue reading “Planks Dairies Introduces Locally Sourced Organic Dairy Range”
- Full Steam Ahead for The Collected Grimm Tales at The Wharf TheatreDespite the gloomy pushback to the 19th July for step four of the roadmap to reopen venues, government announced plans to pilot test live theatrical … Continue reading “Full Steam Ahead for The Collected Grimm Tales at The Wharf Theatre”
- Fiesty Fish will be at a’Becketts Vineyard on SaturdayI don’t know where the ingenious pub name The Chocolate Poodle came from, or why it had to sadly close, but it always sounds like … Continue reading “Fiesty Fish will be at a’Becketts Vineyard on Saturday”
- Lions, be on the Green!Though for trade description purposes, there were no actual lions on the Green, (not this time, it’s not 1980) if I had to sum up … Continue reading “Lions, be on the Green!”
- Thirty Years a Raver: Part 5: The Final Frontier“If you’re hanging on to a rising balloon, you’re presented with a difficult decision – let go before it’s too late or hang on and … Continue reading “Thirty Years a Raver: Part 5: The Final Frontier”
- Liddington Hill Celtic Punk!Sometimes, and quite a number of times I might add, nothing fits the bill quite like a bout of pounding bibulous Celtic punk, by a … Continue reading “Liddington Hill Celtic Punk!”
- How to Discourage a Tory from Coming to your Party!Now lockdown restrictions are looking to be eased, you might be considering hosting a party. Given the last thing you need is for a conservative … Continue reading “How to Discourage a Tory from Coming to your Party!”
- Local Artist Clifton Powell Commissioned for English Heritage Exhibition The African Diaspora in EnglandA proud moment for Devizes-based artist Clifton Powell as he poses for a photo next to his amazing portrait of Abbot Hadrian, in Canterbury. Clifton … Continue reading “Local Artist Clifton Powell Commissioned for English Heritage Exhibition The African Diaspora in England”
- Devizes Wharf Theatre Launch Youth TheatreHave you any young budding actors in your family? Drama kings and queens?! You might like to know Devizes Wharf Theatre have just launched a … Continue reading “Devizes Wharf Theatre Launch Youth Theatre”