Featured Image: Gerry Lynch.
A historic Devizes church will help local children celebrate the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee by giving them the chance to work with a renowned local artist over the jubilee period.…
The parish of St John with St Mary in Devizes has partnered with artist Joanna May and historian David Evans to put an exhibition entitled ‘Majesty’ in St Mary’s Church on New Park Street from 2-4 June. Three local primary schools will participate: Wansdyke, Southbroom, and Trinity.
Shirley Urwin, who is helping organise the exhibition, said: “The children will hear about Devizes’ historic links with the monarchy through story-telling, then Joanna will help them make paintings and drawings of story or person that resonated most with them. Joanna will then create a mosaic of the children’s drawings as part of a huge exhibition board, based upon her painting “Majesty”, which depicts Queen Elizabeth’s Coronation Crown.
“We hope they will benefit from the opportunity to work creatively with a well-known artist and be involved in a unique project marking a memorable event in their lives.
“The pupils will benefit from one-on-one time with a professional artist completely cost free. All three schools are state-funded, and both Trinity CofE and Southbroom receive higher than the national average Pupil Premium funding. This is about bringing art to everyone in our community.
“This is part of a programme of activities that will secure the future of St Mary’s Church as a vibrant and viable multi-use venue for the community of Devizes and further afield. It will raise awareness and engagement in the town of the plans to make St Mary’s available for the community as a vibrant arts space, accessible to all. “
The exhibition will be free, and take place at St Mary’s from 11 am – 3 pm from Thu 2 – Sat 4 June.
About Joanna May
Joanna May is an artist based in Devizes. She is recognised and collected widely, with a listing in ‘Who’s Who In Art’. Her work has sold at Christies’, including to celebrity buyers; she has paintings at Le Manoir aux Quat’Saisons, Raymond Blanc’s famous hotel near Henley. Her beautiful hare paintings for The Hare on the Moon – A Treasure Hunt Book hang in her Joanna May Gallery, lighting up Northgate Street in Devizes. She can be contacted on firstname.lastname@example.org and has a website at joannamay.com.
About St Mary’s, Devizes
St Mary’s Church is a Grade 1 listed building and one of the town’s oldest and most historic landmarks with its magnificent 13m high internal arch. It is among the top 2.5% listed buildings in the country and of significant historic importance to the town. Plans are afoot to redevelop the building into a space for the arts, accessible to all, enjoyed for generations to come, thus preserving our heritage. Find out more at www.stmarydevizestrust.org.uk.
- REVIEW – Gigspanner @ Pound Arts Centre, Corsham – Tuesday 29th November 2022A Night Of Extreme Violins Andy Fawthrop Yes, I know it’s not in Devizes, but it’s pretty darned close. And it was definitely worth the … Continue reading “REVIEW – Gigspanner @ Pound Arts Centre, Corsham – Tuesday 29th November 2022”
- Devizes Carnival Returning to Traditional DateSomething I’m personally impartial about, though DOCA’s carnival consultation flagged it as a major issue for many, the recent date changes of carnival is set … Continue reading “Devizes Carnival Returning to Traditional Date”
- Illingworth Celebrate Their 100th Gig!Salisbury-based acoustic rock duo John Illingworth Smith and Jolyon Dixon play The High Post Golf Club, between Amesbury and Salisbury this Friday 2nd December, and … Continue reading “Illingworth Celebrate Their 100th Gig!”
- Weekly Roundup of Events in Wiltshire: 30th November – 6th December 2022No point in amending your bad behaviour now, far too late; you’ve got to have been good all year round to get on the good … Continue reading “Weekly Roundup of Events in Wiltshire: 30th November – 6th December 2022”
- Mighty Mighty; The Scribes Storm the Muck!Another fantabulous evening at Devizes’ tropical holiday resort, The Muck and Dunder rum bar, where Bristol’s boom bap trio I’ve been hailing since day dot, … Continue reading “Mighty Mighty; The Scribes Storm the Muck!”
- Dr John Otway Rocks Trowbridge’s PumpBy Lorraine Briggs The last time Otway played Trowbridge was in July 2003 at the Village Pump Festival, he returned last night to a gig … Continue reading “Dr John Otway Rocks Trowbridge’s Pump”
- DOCA Step into Christmas!As sparkly as Elton John at his most sparkliest, Devizes Outdoor Celebratory Arts pulled the tinsel out of bag for the annual Winter Festival yesterday … Continue reading “DOCA Step into Christmas!”
- Devizes First Ever Life-Size Advent CalenderFor the first time, Devizes will have its own life-size interactive Advent Calendar starting from the 1st of December. Devizes Adventure is a community event … Continue reading “Devizes First Ever Life-Size Advent Calender”
- Unemployment is a Choice, Says Wiltshire PCC Phillip WilkinsonYou’ve got to love social media for its provision into the ethics of those in positions of power. It’s beggar’s belief why no-one in the … Continue reading “Unemployment is a Choice, Says Wiltshire PCC Phillip Wilkinson”
- Devizine Podcast Pilot!Okay, so, everyone is doing a podcast these days, and I’m a sucker which finds it impossible to go against the grain. Here’s my pathetic … Continue reading “Devizine Podcast Pilot!”