Anytime is a good time for some roots reggae, Sunday morning, doublely so.
Enter one of my favourite current reggae bands, from Madrid, the Emertarians.
They always remind me of an occasion, at a festival in Andalusia. I watched this great French reggae band. The slighty rotound frontman looked rather like the late, great Jacob Miller. After the performance I noted he was standing close to me, watching the following act. I went over in hope of telling him how much I enjoyed their music, praying they spoke English.
I momentarily regretted my school French lessons, which I spent making homemade comics out of text books, as he replied with an adamant no upon asking if he spoke English.
All the vocabulary my intoxicated mind could conjour was “tres bien,” so I repeated it perpetually in true Del-Boy fashion!
Otherwise the meeting was the awkward silence of communication breakdown, in which I suspected they thought I was completely nuts. Not so far from the truth.
So, I namedropped Jacob Miller and suddenly we had understanding and mutual respect for the man. My point is, sometimes the Emertarians sing in Spanish and sometimes English, often the Spanish ones more emotive, but reggae has no language barriers, because it’s spiritual meaning and uplifting ambiance is universal. As with the French Jacob Miller-alike, we were on the same song sheet….
Naturally at that conjunction, I rolled a joint.
And that’s my song for the day. Very good. Carry on….
- Remembering Sinclair’s ZX SpectrumOkay, given the news of the sad passing of Sir Clive Sinclair last week, guaranteed you’ll see lots of photos of him in his scarf, … Continue reading “Remembering Sinclair’s ZX Spectrum”
- Pumpkins & Poppies with Devizes Town BandIn six weeks, the historic Devizes Town Band will be performing at their first indoor concert for two years! On Sunday 31st October, Devizes Town … Continue reading “Pumpkins & Poppies with Devizes Town Band”
- We Care Bear Selfie Sculpture“We want to be there for every seriously ill child that needs us,” say Julia’s House, “but to care for families in your community, we … Continue reading “We Care Bear Selfie Sculpture”
- Onika Venus Smooths Trowbridge Town HallA truly wonderful night was had at Trowbridge Town Hall with soul-reggae artist Onika Venus and band…. Agreed, you may have to sift through wildly … Continue reading “Onika Venus Smooths Trowbridge Town Hall”
- REVIEW – Creedence Clearwater Review – Long Street Blues Club – Saturday 18th September 2021Up Around The Blues Club By Andy Fawthrop Well, it’d been a long old time but finally – finally! – we were back after 18 … Continue reading “REVIEW – Creedence Clearwater Review – Long Street Blues Club – Saturday 18th September 2021”
- REVIEW: Strakers’ Devizes Comedy – Corn Exchange – Friday 17th September 2021You’ve Got To Laugh by Andy Fawthrop It really feels as if the old times are back with the very welcome return of Strakers’ Comedy … Continue reading “REVIEW: Strakers’ Devizes Comedy – Corn Exchange – Friday 17th September 2021”
- Eric Ravilious: Downland ManUnique exhibition to open at Wiltshire Museum Featured Image: The Westbury White Horse © Towner Eastbourne Finally opening at Wiltshire Museum on 25 September 2021 … Continue reading “Eric Ravilious: Downland Man“
- Real Cheesemakers go Head-to-Head with Professor Elemental in ChippenhamSo, you’re planning to go out-out, the decision rests on music or a night of comedy. An unnecessary dilemma, no need for a crystal ball, … Continue reading “Real Cheesemakers go Head-to-Head with Professor Elemental in Chippenham”
- Spearmint’s Holland ParkAs spacey as Spaceman 3, I get a whopping chunk of cleansed retro Madchester with the opening of Holland Park, the new album from one … Continue reading “Spearmint’s Holland Park”
- Help Choose a Charity For A Fundraising Music Event in Devizes….A prestigious live music gig is being planned for Devizes. Top secret, if I spill anymore beans about it they’d be forced to shoot me, … Continue reading “Help Choose a Charity For A Fundraising Music Event in Devizes….”