Join me in thanking and congratulating The Devizes Lions in celebrating fifty years of serving the community.
Two members of DEVIZES LIONS Club have together amassed over 100 years of voluntary service to the local community. This milestone has been reached during the year in which the Club marks the 50th anniversary of its founding.
Soon after the Club formed in 1970 David Bousfield joined, and John Hurley did so a few months later. Over the years they have helped to organise many Lions’ events, including assisting individuals and groups in need of practical or financial help as well as organising large scale events such as Gymkhanas and the May and Christmas Fayres
David was President of the Club in 1984 and again in 2014. Like many of the Lions, David is well known in other fields. He is a solicitor with Wansbroughs in Devizes and has lived in Potterne for many years, he is a former trustee of the Wiltshire Community Foundation and governor of Devizes School. A keen sportsman, he was previously a county hockey player and remains a keen golfer.
John was President of the Club in 1977, and now lives in New Park Street. He was Engineer & Surveyor to the former Devizes Rural District Council and then Kennet District Council. With his late wife Beryl he was active in the establishment of the Wharf Theatre and they were also leading figures in the Wiltshire family history scene, transcribing and publishing many records and giving talks over much of the country.
Both John and David remain active Club members preparing for the restart of the Club’s public activities and its next 50 years helping local individuals, families and groups in need of support.
- World Book Day; Flash Your Book at Us!Bit late for the party, as usual, it’s been World Book Day all day, hence the day bit in the name, and at 5pm I … Continue reading “World Book Day; Flash Your Book at Us!”
- Song of the Day 30: Maple Glider (A.K.A. Tori Ziestch) Naarm/Melbourne-based singer-songwriter, Maple Glider releasesd a new single today, “Good Thing.” Her striking emotionality is at the centre of her performance, which opens with her … Continue reading “Song of the Day 30: Maple Glider (A.K.A. Tori Ziestch) “
- Song of the Day 29: Bunny Wailer 1947-2021Photo Credit: Redferns/Gem I know, this feature is supposed to be for new music, promoting new and upcoming bands and artists. But here’s a notion, … Continue reading “Song of the Day 29: Bunny Wailer 1947-2021”
- Trowbridge DJ and Producer, Neonian Releases Debut EPA figure appears through the labyrinth of florescent drapes, strobing with ultra-violet lights. She’s void of expression, hypnotised in her individual realm she perpetually gyrates, … Continue reading “Trowbridge DJ and Producer, Neonian Releases Debut EP”
- A Chat with Wiltshire PCC Candidate Liz Webster“Perhaps it will take electing a determined and feisty female Lib-Dem to turn that around in standing up for our Police and communities.” Wiltshire PCC … Continue reading “A Chat with Wiltshire PCC Candidate Liz Webster”
- Make Headway for Ariel PosenTry this: think of some tunes of the decade you were born, songs which you like but don’t know why, songs which, for some reason, … Continue reading “Make Headway for Ariel Posen”
- Song of the Day 28: Kevin BrownLaunched today, ‘Square Peg in a Round Hole.’ How’s that for efficiency? I know, I’m not usually this quick off the mark, must be something … Continue reading “Song of the Day 28: Kevin Brown”
- Song of the Day 27: Emily CapellWe are the mods, we are the mods, we are, we are, okay, you get the gist. Imagine Kate Nash is Doctor Who’s assistant, and … Continue reading “Song of the Day 27: Emily Capell”
- And There it is, AraluenEver considered Jolene might’ve been an innocent victim of circumstance? Dolly’s husband was obsessed with her, talked about her in his sleep. But there’s no … Continue reading “And There it is, Araluen”
- Song of the Day 26: The Maitree ExpressReggae and ska’s association with trains tracks back to its very roots, that beguiling chugging offbeat replicates engine noise, ergo subject matter and band names … Continue reading “Song of the Day 26: The Maitree Express”