Join me in thanking and congratulating The Devizes Lions in celebrating fifty years of serving the community.
Two members of DEVIZES LIONS Club have together amassed over 100 years of voluntary service to the local community. This milestone has been reached during the year in which the Club marks the 50th anniversary of its founding.
Soon after the Club formed in 1970 David Bousfield joined, and John Hurley did so a few months later. Over the years they have helped to organise many Lions’ events, including assisting individuals and groups in need of practical or financial help as well as organising large scale events such as Gymkhanas and the May and Christmas Fayres
David was President of the Club in 1984 and again in 2014. Like many of the Lions, David is well known in other fields. He is a solicitor with Wansbroughs in Devizes and has lived in Potterne for many years, he is a former trustee of the Wiltshire Community Foundation and governor of Devizes School. A keen sportsman, he was previously a county hockey player and remains a keen golfer.
John was President of the Club in 1977, and now lives in New Park Street. He was Engineer & Surveyor to the former Devizes Rural District Council and then Kennet District Council. With his late wife Beryl he was active in the establishment of the Wharf Theatre and they were also leading figures in the Wiltshire family history scene, transcribing and publishing many records and giving talks over much of the country.
Both John and David remain active Club members preparing for the restart of the Club’s public activities and its next 50 years helping local individuals, families and groups in need of support.
- Wiltshire’s Solstice Troubles, Again!Have you seen this, at the Euros? When in defence of a freekick they have a guy lying on the ground behind the wall like … Continue reading “Wiltshire’s Solstice Troubles, Again!”
- Thirty Years a Raver. Part 6: Impact ZoneFinal piece of the series then, and a conclusion… One More Tune!!! By 1994 the Criminal Justice Bill had become an act. Attempts to enforce … Continue reading “Thirty Years a Raver. Part 6: Impact Zone”
- Lady Nade; WillingAmericana folk singer-songwriter Lady Nade beautifully attributes her granddad for her traits, in the song Peace and Calm, citing his love of gardening as his … Continue reading “Lady Nade; Willing”
- Ska-Punk-Folk-Whatever, From The Before Times, with Boom Boom RacoonBlagging biros and stationery from banks and post offices, we’ve all been there, but few driven to pen a song about it. It’s one valid … Continue reading “Ska-Punk-Folk-Whatever, From The Before Times, with Boom Boom Racoon”
- Devizes; an LGBTQ+-Friendly Community, a Devizes Pride?As a new local Facebook page for the LGBTQ+ community, Devizes Lgbtq+ springs to life, I’m left wondering exactly what social and counsel interactions are … Continue reading “Devizes; an LGBTQ+-Friendly Community, a Devizes Pride?”
- Planks Dairies Introduces Locally Sourced Organic Dairy RangeNow, I know what you’re asking; aren’t you in someway affiliated with Planks’ Dairies, in which case isn’t this a shameless advertorial? Yes, and no, … Continue reading “Planks Dairies Introduces Locally Sourced Organic Dairy Range”
- Full Steam Ahead for The Collected Grimm Tales at The Wharf TheatreDespite the gloomy pushback to the 19th July for step four of the roadmap to reopen venues, government announced plans to pilot test live theatrical … Continue reading “Full Steam Ahead for The Collected Grimm Tales at The Wharf Theatre”
- Fiesty Fish will be at a’Becketts Vineyard on SaturdayI don’t know where the ingenious pub name The Chocolate Poodle came from, or why it had to sadly close, but it always sounds like … Continue reading “Fiesty Fish will be at a’Becketts Vineyard on Saturday”
- Lions, be on the Green!Though for trade description purposes, there were no actual lions on the Green, (not this time, it’s not 1980) if I had to sum up … Continue reading “Lions, be on the Green!”
- Thirty Years a Raver: Part 5: The Final Frontier“If you’re hanging on to a rising balloon, you’re presented with a difficult decision – let go before it’s too late or hang on and … Continue reading “Thirty Years a Raver: Part 5: The Final Frontier”