Join me in thanking and congratulating The Devizes Lions in celebrating fifty years of serving the community.
Two members of DEVIZES LIONS Club have together amassed over 100 years of voluntary service to the local community. This milestone has been reached during the year in which the Club marks the 50th anniversary of its founding.
Soon after the Club formed in 1970 David Bousfield joined, and John Hurley did so a few months later. Over the years they have helped to organise many Lions’ events, including assisting individuals and groups in need of practical or financial help as well as organising large scale events such as Gymkhanas and the May and Christmas Fayres
David was President of the Club in 1984 and again in 2014. Like many of the Lions, David is well known in other fields. He is a solicitor with Wansbroughs in Devizes and has lived in Potterne for many years, he is a former trustee of the Wiltshire Community Foundation and governor of Devizes School. A keen sportsman, he was previously a county hockey player and remains a keen golfer.
John was President of the Club in 1977, and now lives in New Park Street. He was Engineer & Surveyor to the former Devizes Rural District Council and then Kennet District Council. With his late wife Beryl he was active in the establishment of the Wharf Theatre and they were also leading figures in the Wiltshire family history scene, transcribing and publishing many records and giving talks over much of the country.
Both John and David remain active Club members preparing for the restart of the Club’s public activities and its next 50 years helping local individuals, families and groups in need of support.
- A Beginner’s Introduction to Oils in All Cannings with Arts TogetherA little-known personal fact, at the tender age of twelve I won a posh set of Windsor & Newton oil paints via a Kellogg’s competition, … Continue reading “A Beginner’s Introduction to Oils in All Cannings with Arts Together”
- Hometown Gig for Nothing Rhymes with OrangeFirst one in what I hope to be a series diverting negative local social media hysteria about wayward youths in our area, must be a … Continue reading “Hometown Gig for Nothing Rhymes with Orange”
- Gazette & Herald to Buy Out DevizineIn a deal I’ve been trying to clench for a year now, Newsquest, owners of Wiltshire based newspapers, including the Gazette & Herald have taken … Continue reading “Gazette & Herald to Buy Out Devizine”
- Wharf-ing Back To Happiness!Do you remember the wonderful sounds of The Shadows and The Tornadoes beaming across the airwaves from Radio Caroline with their spellbinding instrumentals; Apache, Foot … Continue reading “Wharf-ing Back To Happiness!”
- Catherine Read to stand as Green Party Parliamentary candidate for DevizesLast Week, the Green Party announced Catherine Read as their candidate for the next General Election in Devizes…..And I know what many will have to … Continue reading “Catherine Read to stand as Green Party Parliamentary candidate for Devizes”
- Song of the Week: Talk in CodeYou can’t stay on the sunny side of the street; you’ve got to cross over at some point. But if the blurb I’m sent for … Continue reading “Song of the Week: Talk in Code”
- REVIEW – Measure For Measure @ Wharf Theatre, Devizes – Monday 27th March 2023First Night Triumph by Andy Fawthrop Images used with kind permission of Chris Watkins Media Again it was a real pleasure to bowl along to … Continue reading “REVIEW – Measure For Measure @ Wharf Theatre, Devizes – Monday 27th March 2023”
- Weekly Roundup of Events in Wiltshire: 29th March – 4th April 2023Here we go, headlong into April with lots to do.…. Said it before, I’ll say it again, more stuff will be added, this is published … Continue reading “Weekly Roundup of Events in Wiltshire: 29th March – 4th April 2023”
- Poetika Open Mic Night The Winchester gate, Salisbury. Tues 21st March 2023By Helen Edwards A few weeks ago whilst scrolling through social media an advert for this event came up. Intrigued and having never been to a … Continue reading “Poetika Open Mic Night The Winchester gate, Salisbury. Tues 21st March 2023”
- Concrete Prairie at The SouthgateWithout cloning technology it was another Saturday night dilemma still as easily solved; Concrete Prairie were at The Gate, arm twisted…. From The Barge to … Continue reading “Concrete Prairie at The Southgate”