It’s great news today, as the social circle Devizes Public Living Room has been offered The Cheese Hall to continue their weekly gatherings, by Devizes Town Council.…
Living Room projects like this have been running across the world, pre-pandemic, and can be a lifeline for communities, providing nonspecific engagements, activities and a meeting point. There are no requirements, no age, gender or any limitations. Active member Angela Giles told me what she loves about the group, “there is no agenda and no labelling. We just come and be ourselves. Free to chat about whatever we want to, or not, and basically all over a cuppa!”
Originally operarting in the Shambles, the group have been meeting outside at the Wharf for a few months, as the Shambles was no longer an available option. With concerns of the changing season, the group have been concerned about finding a new base.
Angela Giles together with other members, Thomas Green and Nic Ola approached Devizes Town Council at a meeting yesterday evening, and their request was granted to use the Cheese Hall.
Councillor Jonathan Hunter said, “I’m absolutely delighted that a great facility can be used to benefit others and promote social inclusion. I thank my fellow councillors for believing in this group and supporting the request for a safe space for Devizes Public Living Room to call their home.”
You’d be forgiven for assuming, if you’ve been following certain local Facebook groups recently, that the concentration of Devizes Town Council meetings have been preoccupied by a petty squabble over social media policy. This great and righteous permission goes some way to illustrate the content of Council meetings are far from the temper tantrums being hypocritically portrayed, and positive outcomes can be reached.
Here at Devizine, we would like to thank the town council for their decision, and congratulate the camerados of the Devizes Public Living Room group; put the kettle on, guys, as soon as you’re settled in the big cheese I’ll bring some custard creams over!
Unless, of course, you prefer bourbons?
For more info about Devizes Public Living Room, follow their Facebook page, here.
- Tally-Ho for Boxing Day; Avon Vale Hunt Ride Again Admist ProtestsHere we go again, Lacock’s Boxing Day incongruous pageant of corruption and barbarism plans to go ahead this year, despite protests, as The Avon Vale … Continue reading “Tally-Ho for Boxing Day; Avon Vale Hunt Ride Again Admist Protests”
- Weekly Roundup of Events in Wiltshire: 7th-14th December 2022It’s beginning to look a lot like…. another week in early December; bar humbug! Therefore, here’s what’s doing in and around Wiltshire, all of which … Continue reading “Weekly Roundup of Events in Wiltshire: 7th-14th December 2022”
- Alex Roberts at The Barge, Honeystreetby Ben Romain and Victoria Stanley We ventured out to the Barge to catch Alex Roberts after first seeing him at The Southgate, Devizes on … Continue reading “Alex Roberts at The Barge, Honeystreet “
- Bopping Up Alfred’s Tower; A New Chippenham Band StrongholdSee, I’m not sure ol’ Alfred the Great would’ve approved of the whopping gurt folly erected in his name near Bruton. He was there to … Continue reading “Bopping Up Alfred’s Tower; A New Chippenham Band Stronghold”
- REVIEW – Gigspanner @ Pound Arts Centre, Corsham – Tuesday 29th November 2022A Night Of Extreme Violins Andy Fawthrop Yes, I know it’s not in Devizes, but it’s pretty darned close. And it was definitely worth the … Continue reading “REVIEW – Gigspanner @ Pound Arts Centre, Corsham – Tuesday 29th November 2022”
- Devizes Carnival Returning to Traditional DateSomething I’m personally impartial about, though DOCA’s carnival consultation flagged it as a major issue for many, the recent date changes of carnival is set … Continue reading “Devizes Carnival Returning to Traditional Date”
- Illingworth Celebrate Their 100th Gig!Salisbury-based acoustic rock duo John Illingworth Smith and Jolyon Dixon play The High Post Golf Club, between Amesbury and Salisbury this Friday 2nd December, and … Continue reading “Illingworth Celebrate Their 100th Gig!”
- Weekly Roundup of Events in Wiltshire: 30th November – 6th December 2022No point in amending your bad behaviour now, far too late; you’ve got to have been good all year round to get on the good … Continue reading “Weekly Roundup of Events in Wiltshire: 30th November – 6th December 2022”
- Mighty Mighty; The Scribes Storm the Muck!Another fantabulous evening at Devizes’ tropical holiday resort, The Muck and Dunder rum bar, where Bristol’s boom bap trio I’ve been hailing since day dot, … Continue reading “Mighty Mighty; The Scribes Storm the Muck!”
- Dr John Otway Rocks Trowbridge’s PumpBy Lorraine Briggs The last time Otway played Trowbridge was in July 2003 at the Village Pump Festival, he returned last night to a gig … Continue reading “Dr John Otway Rocks Trowbridge’s Pump”