Who knew? Devizes has an annual Strongest contest; why am I the last to know about these things? Best guess is because I’d only show you all up!
Wiltshire born and bred, the saying goes, strong in the arm and thick in the head! Let’s forget about the latter bit, and concentrate on the first. Who is the strongest man and strongest woman in Devizes? And I don’t mean like a vintage cheddar type strong.
No need to take this outside, on Sunday 2nd April we’ll know for sure, pal, as Pure Grit personal training gym at Hopton Industrial Estate host their second Devizes Strongest competition at Devizes Football Club, and I’m like, that’s a great idea, something a bit different.
To enter costs £35, including the T-shirt, and places are filling fast. Of course, there’s different categories, from beginners and novice lifters to the experienced, of which you’re big and can find out about these for yourself, I’m more interested to wonder if this is a spectator sport.
I know, I’m old, and harking back to the grand days of good ol’ Geoff Capes and Iceland’s Jón Páll Sigmarsson, when The World’s Strongest Man content was something every man and his dog tuned in for, and thinking this might be a fun Sunday thing to watch. So I dropped a line to organiser and Pure Grit owner, Zoe Trevena, warned her I’ve no intention of lifting any cars in case she got the wrong idea, and she tells me it’s a mere two quid to come watch.
The competition starts at 10am, there will be food and side stalls, Zoe explained “we held our first Devizes Strongest Man & Woman last year. This year we have sixty competitors, 40% women 60% men. We also use the Wadworths Dray as part of our pulling event instead of pulling a truck!”
Story checks out too, via a quick online search I found the Wiltshire Times covered this last time, complete with a picture of Zoe pulling the dray. Wowzers; I’m not arguing with her even if she was making it all up! Is she trying to put the shire horses out of a job?!!
- Song of the Week: Sienna WilemanOkay, I admit it, our Song of the Day feature was too optimistic, and failing every day to post a tune meant it fell by … Continue reading “Song of the Week: Sienna Wileman”
- REVIEW – Comedy Night @ The Piggy Bank, Calne – Tuesday 31st January 2023What’s Funny About Tuesday Night? Andy Fawthrop You know how we’ve previously moaned on and on (and on) on these pages before about the lack … Continue reading “REVIEW – Comedy Night @ The Piggy Bank, Calne – Tuesday 31st January 2023”
- On The Wayside with VidualsAkin to Ghostbuster’s nemesis Slimer when he appears over the hotdog stand, I was squatting a spacious windowsill at Wiltshire Music Centre with an Evie’s … Continue reading “On The Wayside with Viduals”
- Weekly Roundup of Events in Wiltshire: 1st – 7th February 2023Thank the heavens we can kick January out of the door! It’s been a warmer week though, hasn’t it? Still wouldn’t reach for the Hawaiian … Continue reading “Weekly Roundup of Events in Wiltshire: 1st – 7th February 2023”
- Marlborough’s Lamb Landlord Farewell Gig Will Be Pants!Marlborough News reported “in the Seventies, Marlborough boasted well over twenty pubs. Now there are just six,” in an article about the retirement of longstanding … Continue reading “Marlborough’s Lamb Landlord Farewell Gig Will Be Pants!”
- Weekly Roundup of Events in Wiltshire: 25th-31th January 2023Oh, hey there, it’s me, here to tell you what we’ve found to do in Wiltshire this week, leading us nicely until the end of … Continue reading “Weekly Roundup of Events in Wiltshire: 25th-31th January 2023”
- Beating January Blues, Bradford-on-Avon Roots StyleIf the last thing you’d expect as the final sound you hear before leaving a festival carpark is of scraping frost off windscreens, notion of … Continue reading “Beating January Blues, Bradford-on-Avon Roots Style”
- Old Wharf Café to Become Meeting RoomThe Kennet & Avon Trust today revealed plans to convert the old café on Devizes Wharf, Couch Lane, into a meeting facility; how exciting! It … Continue reading “Old Wharf Café to Become Meeting Room”
- Weekly Roundup of Events in Wiltshire: 18th-24th January 2023Back to a possibility of snow on Wednesday, the big freeze makes an unwelcome return, so please, if you’re heading out be careful. For those … Continue reading “Weekly Roundup of Events in Wiltshire: 18th-24th January 2023”
- Delicate, Like A PsychedelicatWhat is a psychedelicat, a tin of magic mushroom flavoured Felix?! His picture on the tin certainly displays some suspiciously dilated pupils, but this exaggeration … Continue reading “Delicate, Like A Psychedelicat”