Who knew? Devizes has an annual Strongest contest; why am I the last to know about these things? Best guess is because I’d only show you all up!
Wiltshire born and bred, the saying goes, strong in the arm and thick in the head! Let’s forget about the latter bit, and concentrate on the first. Who is the strongest man and strongest woman in Devizes? And I don’t mean like a vintage cheddar type strong.
No need to take this outside, on Sunday 2nd April we’ll know for sure, pal, as Pure Grit personal training gym at Hopton Industrial Estate host their second Devizes Strongest competition at Devizes Football Club, and I’m like, that’s a great idea, something a bit different.
To enter costs £35, including the T-shirt, and places are filling fast. Of course, there’s different categories, from beginners and novice lifters to the experienced, of which you’re big and can find out about these for yourself, I’m more interested to wonder if this is a spectator sport.
I know, I’m old, and harking back to the grand days of good ol’ Geoff Capes and Iceland’s Jón Páll Sigmarsson, when The World’s Strongest Man content was something every man and his dog tuned in for, and thinking this might be a fun Sunday thing to watch. So I dropped a line to organiser and Pure Grit owner, Zoe Trevena, warned her I’ve no intention of lifting any cars in case she got the wrong idea, and she tells me it’s a mere two quid to come watch.
The competition starts at 10am, there will be food and side stalls, Zoe explained “we held our first Devizes Strongest Man & Woman last year. This year we have sixty competitors, 40% women 60% men. We also use the Wadworths Dray as part of our pulling event instead of pulling a truck!”
Story checks out too, via a quick online search I found the Wiltshire Times covered this last time, complete with a picture of Zoe pulling the dray. Wowzers; I’m not arguing with her even if she was making it all up! Is she trying to put the shire horses out of a job?!!
- Alex Roberts and Fly Yeti Fly @ The Barge HoneystreetBen Niamor First time for me in the barn venue, it’s a great space. Alex is no stranger to this place, and it feels like … Continue reading “Alex Roberts and Fly Yeti Fly @ The Barge Honeystreet”
- Devizes Street Festival; Day OneIf I can, which I think is best after one too many visits to the Stealth bar, sum today in Devizes up in a word, … Continue reading “Devizes Street Festival; Day One”
- Deadlight Dance: Innocent BeginningsMarlborough’s darkwave-goth duo, Deadlight Dance push their boundaries to new limits with their second single, Innocent Beginnings this week, and it’s a corker of goth … Continue reading “Deadlight Dance: Innocent Beginnings”
- Nothing Rhymes With Orange have ButterfliesIf Lidl Shoes, April’s blast from our aspiring homegrown four-piece indie-punkers, Nothing Rhymes With Orange certainty raised the rafters with energetic enthusiasm, I held subtle … Continue reading “Nothing Rhymes With Orange have Butterflies”
- Your Place, or Mine? Devizes Town Council Squabbles Over Meeting Venue!I’ve a mildly interesting word origin urban myth to bore you with before we begin on an opinion piece about the latest petty squabbling at … Continue reading “Your Place, or Mine? Devizes Town Council Squabbles Over Meeting Venue!”
- Song of the Week: Canute’s Plastic ArmySwindon’s acoustic Celtic folk duo Canute’s Plastic Army played the Southgate in Devizes last Saturday; though firmly on my never-ending must-see-list, even just the name … Continue reading “Song of the Week: Canute’s Plastic Army”
- Weekly Roundup of Events in Wiltshire: 24th-30th May 2023OMG, OMG, another bank holiday weekend coming up, who’s excited, who’s coming out to play?! Here’s what we’ve found this week, find the info and … Continue reading “Weekly Roundup of Events in Wiltshire: 24th-30th May 2023”
- Female of the Species Announce 2023 Date!For eight years on the trot, minus the lockdown year no one needs reminding of, local all-female supergroup, The Female of the Species have performed … Continue reading “Female of the Species Announce 2023 Date!”
- Exploring Frome at Night; Does Every Town Need a Cheese and Grain?Finally crawled out of my Hobbit-hole this weekend after a shilly-shallying period of making do with BGT on the telebox, and what better way to … Continue reading “Exploring Frome at Night; Does Every Town Need a Cheese and Grain?”
- Weekly Roundup of Events in Wiltshire: 17th-23rd May 2023Hey you, had one of those weeks so far, and need to blow off some steam?! I know I have, but you don’t need me … Continue reading “Weekly Roundup of Events in Wiltshire: 17th-23rd May 2023”