It’s Wednesday night, it’s Song of the Week time…. I’m just amazed with myself that I’ve actually committed to this new regular feature for a whole month, incredible!
This week, it’s post-punk eighties alternative/goth duo Deadlight Dance. Tim Emery and Nick Fletcher are a rekindled two-fifths of a Marlborough’s St Johns six form band and released a debut single this week, Missives from the Sisters.
Out on Ray Records, a debut single from a forthcoming album Beyond Reverence, due later this the year. This sullenly emotive tune of darkwave rings alarms for a reawakening of the gothic rock genre, once emblematic of Marlborough. I was just 14 when I moved there from Essex, it was a culture shock as we didn’t have goths in the motherland of shopping and stilettos, doubt we even had black hair dye, but I quickly realised the importance of liking the Cure, if I wanted to snog any girls!
Recorded at Nick Beere’s Chisldon studio, Mooncalf, the duo play The Crown in Aldbourne tomorrow (23rd Feb,) and The Plough in Shalbourne on Saturday March 4th, after dropping in for a 6pm-ish slot at my birthday party down the Three Crowns, Devizes….I’ve told you about my birthday, haven’t I? It’s okay, if you come too, I pinky promise not to try and snog you!
- A Beginner’s Introduction to Oils in All Cannings with Arts TogetherA little-known personal fact, at the tender age of twelve I won a posh set of Windsor & Newton oil paints via a Kellogg’s competition, … Continue reading “A Beginner’s Introduction to Oils in All Cannings with Arts Together”
- Hometown Gig for Nothing Rhymes with OrangeFirst one in what I hope to be a series diverting negative local social media hysteria about wayward youths in our area, must be a … Continue reading “Hometown Gig for Nothing Rhymes with Orange”
- Gazette & Herald to Buy Out DevizineIn a deal I’ve been trying to clench for a year now, Newsquest, owners of Wiltshire based newspapers, including the Gazette & Herald have taken … Continue reading “Gazette & Herald to Buy Out Devizine”
- Wharf-ing Back To Happiness!Do you remember the wonderful sounds of The Shadows and The Tornadoes beaming across the airwaves from Radio Caroline with their spellbinding instrumentals; Apache, Foot … Continue reading “Wharf-ing Back To Happiness!”
- Catherine Read to stand as Green Party Parliamentary candidate for DevizesLast Week, the Green Party announced Catherine Read as their candidate for the next General Election in Devizes…..And I know what many will have to … Continue reading “Catherine Read to stand as Green Party Parliamentary candidate for Devizes”
- Song of the Week: Talk in CodeYou can’t stay on the sunny side of the street; you’ve got to cross over at some point. But if the blurb I’m sent for … Continue reading “Song of the Week: Talk in Code”
- REVIEW – Measure For Measure @ Wharf Theatre, Devizes – Monday 27th March 2023First Night Triumph by Andy Fawthrop Images used with kind permission of Chris Watkins Media Again it was a real pleasure to bowl along to … Continue reading “REVIEW – Measure For Measure @ Wharf Theatre, Devizes – Monday 27th March 2023”
- Weekly Roundup of Events in Wiltshire: 29th March – 4th April 2023Here we go, headlong into April with lots to do.…. Said it before, I’ll say it again, more stuff will be added, this is published … Continue reading “Weekly Roundup of Events in Wiltshire: 29th March – 4th April 2023”
- Poetika Open Mic Night The Winchester gate, Salisbury. Tues 21st March 2023By Helen Edwards A few weeks ago whilst scrolling through social media an advert for this event came up. Intrigued and having never been to a … Continue reading “Poetika Open Mic Night The Winchester gate, Salisbury. Tues 21st March 2023”
- Concrete Prairie at The SouthgateWithout cloning technology it was another Saturday night dilemma still as easily solved; Concrete Prairie were at The Gate, arm twisted…. From The Barge to … Continue reading “Concrete Prairie at The Southgate”
One thought on “Song of the Week: Deadlight Dance”