Reggae and ska’s association with trains tracks back to its very roots, that beguiling chugging offbeat replicates engine noise, ergo subject matter and band names suit.
Here’s hoping if Devizes does ever get a station, more reggae bands will stop here and bring their sunshine music. Prime example; I’d sure make a beeline for this Bath-Bristol seven-piece locomotive, with their lively blend of dub, ska and soul.
Failing that, I’m trekking, have roots, will travel.
Offering an exciting live show, the Maitree Express has been in the recording studio and the effect projects onto wax; proof here, in the pudding.
Wait, did someone say pudding? My work here is done, that’s my song for the day. Very good. Carry on…..
- HAVING A BABY AND THE S**T THEY DON’T TELL YOU26th and 27th May 2023Wharf Theatre, DevizesPerformed and written by Lou Cox Review by Helen Edwards I will start this review with a trigger warning. … Continue reading “HAVING A BABY AND THE S**T THEY DON’T TELL YOU”
- Alex Roberts and Fly Yeti Fly @ The Barge HoneystreetBen Niamor First time for me in the barn venue, it’s a great space. Alex is no stranger to this place, and it feels like … Continue reading “Alex Roberts and Fly Yeti Fly @ The Barge Honeystreet”
- Devizes Street Festival; Day OneIf I can, which I think is best after one too many visits to the Stealth bar, sum today in Devizes up in a word, … Continue reading “Devizes Street Festival; Day One”
- Deadlight Dance: Innocent BeginningsMarlborough’s darkwave-goth duo, Deadlight Dance push their boundaries to new limits with their second single, Innocent Beginnings this week, and it’s a corker of goth … Continue reading “Deadlight Dance: Innocent Beginnings”
- Nothing Rhymes With Orange have ButterfliesIf Lidl Shoes, April’s blast from our aspiring homegrown four-piece indie-punkers, Nothing Rhymes With Orange certainty raised the rafters with energetic enthusiasm, I held subtle … Continue reading “Nothing Rhymes With Orange have Butterflies”
- Your Place, or Mine? Devizes Town Council Squabbles Over Meeting Venue!I’ve a mildly interesting word origin urban myth to bore you with before we begin on an opinion piece about the latest petty squabbling at … Continue reading “Your Place, or Mine? Devizes Town Council Squabbles Over Meeting Venue!”
- Song of the Week: Canute’s Plastic ArmySwindon’s acoustic Celtic folk duo Canute’s Plastic Army played the Southgate in Devizes last Saturday; though firmly on my never-ending must-see-list, even just the name … Continue reading “Song of the Week: Canute’s Plastic Army”
- Weekly Roundup of Events in Wiltshire: 24th-30th May 2023OMG, OMG, another bank holiday weekend coming up, who’s excited, who’s coming out to play?! Here’s what we’ve found this week, find the info and … Continue reading “Weekly Roundup of Events in Wiltshire: 24th-30th May 2023”
- Female of the Species Announce 2023 Date!For eight years on the trot, minus the lockdown year no one needs reminding of, local all-female supergroup, The Female of the Species have performed … Continue reading “Female of the Species Announce 2023 Date!”
- Exploring Frome at Night; Does Every Town Need a Cheese and Grain?Finally crawled out of my Hobbit-hole this weekend after a shilly-shallying period of making do with BGT on the telebox, and what better way to … Continue reading “Exploring Frome at Night; Does Every Town Need a Cheese and Grain?”