Not one for needles, but one for Indian street food, thought I’d better treat myself, and the good lady wife too, mind, after being jabbed.
Yep, vaccination accomplished, the excellent service at Devizes Corn Exchange did not advise eating Indian street food was completely necessary, but did advise waiting fifteen minutes before driving. So we took an unsuspecting wander.
Not that I’d have imagined to find such a curiosity along our Brittox. But to our surprise, there stood a colourful graffiti facade where a bakery was once situated. Intrigue drew me inside. The fantastic decor was executed by Glimmertwin Graffiti Murals of Brighton, and had this been the lanes of Brighton, or the markets of Camden, such a delicatessen would have blended right in.
Here in Devizes, it stands out, but unlike a sore thumb and more like the tucker it purveys, it’s darn gorgeous.
A bizarrely wonderful addition to our precinct, Naan Guru opened today, Friday 23rd April, and was already attracting attention. The owner also has a pie shop in Trowvegas, hence some rather splendid looking pies on show, but this new venture is something rather different.
We’re talking sourdough naan kebabs of chicken tikka, lamb, sharmi or vegan shish, or morning visits might be enticed by a full English breakfast naan.
We’re chatting curry of similar meats and vegan options, we’re rapping homemade samosas, and drinks like sweet or salty lassi, chai, and thick kulfi frozen shakes, pistachio or mango, and gulab doughnuts, waffles for pudding. We’re talking some seriously appetising aromas ascending from this new place, twisting my arm.
We went for a sharmi (beef) kebab in naan, and it was fresh, with crunchy salad, exotic sauce and I’m pleased to report back to, Devizions, it tasted blooming gorgeous!
It’s kind of hard to walk past it and not notice it. But I’d judge this book by it’s cover; the tucker is as good as it looks, and finding my spiritual nirvana usually through my stomach, Naan Guru appeases my best karma. They’re six quid a pop, but six quid well spent; I’m smitten.
- Stockwell, Storm Jae and Nory Can’t Come HomeIt’s not every day we hear a quintessentially hip-hop track with the magnitude of enriching classic rock riffs, say, as Gerry Rafferty’s Baker Street or … Continue reading “Stockwell, Storm Jae and Nory Can’t Come Home”
- Wiltshire’s Most Expensive Laugh; Seedy Out of the PCC Race!Two opinion pieces from me in as many days; you lucky, lucky people! What I wouldn’t give to have two lofty opinion pieces from Devizine … Continue reading “Wiltshire’s Most Expensive Laugh; Seedy Out of the PCC Race!”
- A Trowbridge Kitchen Sink Drama; Sitting TenantsWednesday, racing down to the newsagent on the corner on my Rayleigh Tomahawk, fifteen pee in sweaty palm. Pick up my Beano, six pence left … Continue reading “A Trowbridge Kitchen Sink Drama; Sitting Tenants”
- Wiltshire Lays all its Eggs in the Same BasketYou’ve done it now, it’s too late for reason. My reaction to the local election results coming in; you really want to hear it?! It’s … Continue reading “Wiltshire Lays all its Eggs in the Same Basket”
- Brainiac 5’s Other DimensionAnd it is precisely that. Cornish psych-punkers The Brainiac 5 release this mind-blowing album of both reflective new tunes and lost archived tracks, today. Another … Continue reading “Brainiac 5’s Other Dimension”
- Sheer Reveal Frank Turner at Cheese & GrainTo celebrate the release of his new single “the Gathering,” featuring Jason Isbell and Muse’s Dom Howard, multi-award-winning Frank Turner, one of the UK’s most … Continue reading “Sheer Reveal Frank Turner at Cheese & Grain”
- Save Furlong Close Campaigners Protest in RowdeRowde villagers joined for a socially distanced and peaceful protest today, in the centre of the village to show their support for the Save Furlong … Continue reading “Save Furlong Close Campaigners Protest in Rowde”
- Salem Announce National Tour with Sheer Hosting Swindon’s Vic GigThere’s something indefinitely old school punk about Salem, with nods to pop-punk, goth and rockabilly, hoisting them to the absolute top of their scene. No … Continue reading “Salem Announce National Tour with Sheer Hosting Swindon’s Vic Gig”
- Can You Help Calne Central Youth & Community Centre Raise Funds to Keep it Going?Calne in Tune stated their activities in 2013. In 2015 a handful of Musicians, Artists & Crafters at Calne in Tune decided they needed a … Continue reading “Can You Help Calne Central Youth & Community Centre Raise Funds to Keep it Going?”
- State of the Thing; a Monthly Guide to Last and This Coming Month of DevizineParticularly crucial at this point, in the midst of this “roadmap” out of lockdown, for me to consider writing a monthly post outlining where we’re … Continue reading “State of the Thing; a Monthly Guide to Last and This Coming Month of Devizine”