Not one for needles, but one for Indian street food, thought I’d better treat myself, and the good lady wife too, mind, after being jabbed.
Yep, vaccination accomplished, the excellent service at Devizes Corn Exchange did not advise eating Indian street food was completely necessary, but did advise waiting fifteen minutes before driving. So we took an unsuspecting wander.
Not that I’d have imagined to find such a curiosity along our Brittox. But to our surprise, there stood a colourful graffiti facade where a bakery was once situated. Intrigue drew me inside. The fantastic decor was executed by Glimmertwin Graffiti Murals of Brighton, and had this been the lanes of Brighton, or the markets of Camden, such a delicatessen would have blended right in.
Here in Devizes, it stands out, but unlike a sore thumb and more like the tucker it purveys, it’s darn gorgeous.
A bizarrely wonderful addition to our precinct, Naan Guru opened today, Friday 23rd April, and was already attracting attention. The owner also has a pie shop in Trowvegas, hence some rather splendid looking pies on show, but this new venture is something rather different.
We’re talking sourdough naan kebabs of chicken tikka, lamb, sharmi or vegan shish, or morning visits might be enticed by a full English breakfast naan.
We’re chatting curry of similar meats and vegan options, we’re rapping homemade samosas, and drinks like sweet or salty lassi, chai, and thick kulfi frozen shakes, pistachio or mango, and gulab doughnuts, waffles for pudding. We’re talking some seriously appetising aromas ascending from this new place, twisting my arm.
We went for a sharmi (beef) kebab in naan, and it was fresh, with crunchy salad, exotic sauce and I’m pleased to report back to, Devizions, it tasted blooming gorgeous!
It’s kind of hard to walk past it and not notice it. But I’d judge this book by it’s cover; the tucker is as good as it looks, and finding my spiritual nirvana usually through my stomach, Naan Guru appeases my best karma. They’re six quid a pop, but six quid well spent; I’m smitten.
- Idiot Music, is the Monkey’s BizzleThis is isn’t the favoured way to start a review, but this is idiot music for stupid people, if you think this is stupid then … Continue reading “Idiot Music, is the Monkey’s Bizzle”
- For Dave Young; Swindon’s Old Town Bowl Rocks for Charity This August with New FestivalPlanned for Saturday 28th August, from midday until 10pm, an all-day festival in Swindon’s Town Gardens will be getting Swindon rockin’, and it’s all in … Continue reading “For Dave Young; Swindon’s Old Town Bowl Rocks for Charity This August with New Festival”
- Daisy’s Good Luck SongsIf I learned to take heed of Sheer Music chief promoter Kieran J Moore, when he Facebook posts about a new local discovery on a … Continue reading “Daisy’s Good Luck Songs”
- Girls Go Ska; Frente al Mar!Rude girls grito! Far from home perhaps, but so, so worth mentioning for tropical vibes of rock steady and ska in a fashion proportionately you’ll … Continue reading “Girls Go Ska; Frente al Mar!”
- Longcoats Get DancingOpps, near-on delayed a month due to the amount of work involved with promoting our Julia’s House album, other stuff going on, and generally slacking … Continue reading “Longcoats Get Dancing”
- Tracks 4Julia’s House Album; The Final CountdownLong overdue is the last third of our detailed track-listing for the compilation album, Various Artists 4Julia’s House, like most things on Devizine at the … Continue reading “Tracks 4Julia’s House Album; The Final Countdown”
- Was a TwoManTing at the SouthgateManaged to make it somewhere between out and Micky Flanagan’s out-out last night. In other words, I didn’t change out of my manky khaki shorts … Continue reading “Was a TwoManTing at the Southgate”
- Gull Able Part 2Continuing from last week, here’s the second episode of our crime-drama, Gull Able…. if only Netflix was reading this we’d have ourselves a hit series … Continue reading “Gull Able Part 2”
- Devizes Issues or The Ministry of Truth?!“Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date … Continue reading “Devizes Issues or The Ministry of Truth?!”
- Congratulations to the Award-Winning British LionGenerally, the hospitality industry is cutthroat and fast paced, a constant competition to keep up with trends and modern consumer behaviour. While Devizes is like … Continue reading “Congratulations to the Award-Winning British Lion”