Some way to a happy ending to the story we broke yesterday about oil pollution in the Crammar pond after a van fire nearby, that thanks to Swan Support of Windsor and the RSPCA, all of the swans have been rescued from the contamination and taken to safety.
Tipped off by Wiltshire Wildlife Hospital, who I messaged our article, Swan Support arrived before lunchtime. I will get myself into these situations, but rather than press “live on the scene,” a few volunteers and I dared the rain to help hold off traffic on the road, should the swans have attempted an escape across it.
After inspecting the pond myself this morning and seeing those swans drenched in oil, I became intricately involved, and it was hearbreaking to see how filthy the swans were underneath, when the team finally fished them from the water.
A fascinating operation to observe, first involving waders then a canoe, to corner the distressed birds. But after halfhour of chasing around the pond, the Swan Support team and one member of the RSPCA successfully rescused them.
A massive thanks to them, but only in part is the problem solved. Up till 1:30pm there was absolutely no sign of the Environmental Agency Devizes Town Council has promised will turn up to inspect the pond, unless we missed them. By lunchtime the slick had spread across three quarters of the pond, and with precipitation from the rain, you could smell the oil in the water.
Pressure is on to get this process moving for the sake of the ducks and other pond life still affected by the pollution.
Suspicion that someone tampered with the boom which failed to block off the oil has proved non-conclusive, as CCTV found no evidence. I’m of the opinion it collapsed through natural causes.
- Swan Dies in Road Accident at The CrammerA swan from the Crammer hit on the road between Morrison’s roundabout and the traffic lights this morning, has died…. In territorial disputes, the wildfowl … Continue reading “Swan Dies in Road Accident at The Crammer”
- If Old Photos of Devizes Were Posted on Social Media Today…..Looking at old photos of Devizes can be a pleasurable way to spend a Sunday morning, such a beautiful and historic market town we live … Continue reading “If Old Photos of Devizes Were Posted on Social Media Today…..”
- The Great Pothole Debacle; Are Wiltshire Councillors Teleported into County Hall?!As a younger chap, for it once was so, I’d procrastinate with the washing-up, putting it off until the point I’d run out of cutlery … Continue reading “The Great Pothole Debacle; Are Wiltshire Councillors Teleported into County Hall?!”
- Song of the Week: Sienna WilemanOkay, I admit it, our Song of the Day feature was too optimistic, and failing every day to post a tune meant it fell by … Continue reading “Song of the Week: Sienna Wileman”
- REVIEW – Comedy Night @ The Piggy Bank, Calne – Tuesday 31st January 2023What’s Funny About Tuesday Night? Andy Fawthrop You know how we’ve previously moaned on and on (and on) on these pages before about the lack … Continue reading “REVIEW – Comedy Night @ The Piggy Bank, Calne – Tuesday 31st January 2023”