Small Wonders is up and running again this year, an online art auction raising funds for Arts Together, a Wiltshire charity bringing creative workshops to those most in need of social interaction, the vulnerable and elderly.
It was one of my most memorable moments working on Devizine, when some years ago I attended a workshop in Melksham with renowned artist Clifton Powell. At a sheltered accommodation centre for the elderly, I witnessed an art group which far exceeded my expectations. It was about so much more than the art, it was an opportunity for social interaction, and when one chap bought out a guitar and sang, I realised it verged on a party! Said exceeded expectation came via talking to the members and realising how much Arts Together meant to them. One couldn’t help but be touched by the experience.
But moreso, the amazing work Arts Together do covers a wider area, with 72 places within six key centres in Devizes, Melksham, Bradford-on-Avon, Trowbridge, Marlborough and Pewsey.
And here’s your chance to help, and bag yourself some original art too, perhaps it’d make a great Christmas present. There’s over 40 pieces to bid on or buy outright, some for as little as thirty quid. Bidding starts on the 18th of November. All the artwork has been donated by renowned local artists, and there’s an impressive variety.
- Tally-Ho for Boxing Day; Avon Vale Hunt Ride Again Admist ProtestsHere we go again, Lacock’s Boxing Day incongruous pageant of corruption and barbarism plans to go ahead this year, despite protests, as The Avon Vale … Continue reading “Tally-Ho for Boxing Day; Avon Vale Hunt Ride Again Admist Protests”
- Weekly Roundup of Events in Wiltshire: 7th-14th December 2022It’s beginning to look a lot like…. another week in early December; bar humbug! Therefore, here’s what’s doing in and around Wiltshire, all of which … Continue reading “Weekly Roundup of Events in Wiltshire: 7th-14th December 2022”
- Alex Roberts at The Barge, Honeystreet by Ben Romain and Victoria Stanley We ventured out to the Barge to catch Alex Roberts after first seeing him at The Southgate, Devizes on … Continue reading “Alex Roberts at The Barge, Honeystreet “
- Bopping Up Alfred’s Tower; A New Chippenham Band StrongholdSee, I’m not sure ol’ Alfred the Great would’ve approved of the whopping gurt folly erected in his name near Bruton. He was there to … Continue reading “Bopping Up Alfred’s Tower; A New Chippenham Band Stronghold”
- REVIEW – Gigspanner @ Pound Arts Centre, Corsham – Tuesday 29th November 2022A Night Of Extreme Violins Andy Fawthrop Yes, I know it’s not in Devizes, but it’s pretty darned close. And it was definitely worth the … Continue reading “REVIEW – Gigspanner @ Pound Arts Centre, Corsham – Tuesday 29th November 2022”
- Devizes Carnival Returning to Traditional DateSomething I’m personally impartial about, though DOCA’s carnival consultation flagged it as a major issue for many, the recent date changes of carnival is set … Continue reading “Devizes Carnival Returning to Traditional Date”
- Illingworth Celebrate Their 100th Gig!Salisbury-based acoustic rock duo John Illingworth Smith and Jolyon Dixon play The High Post Golf Club, between Amesbury and Salisbury this Friday 2nd December, and … Continue reading “Illingworth Celebrate Their 100th Gig!”
- Weekly Roundup of Events in Wiltshire: 30th November – 6th December 2022No point in amending your bad behaviour now, far too late; you’ve got to have been good all year round to get on the good … Continue reading “Weekly Roundup of Events in Wiltshire: 30th November – 6th December 2022”
- Mighty Mighty; The Scribes Storm the Muck!Another fantabulous evening at Devizes’ tropical holiday resort, The Muck and Dunder rum bar, where Bristol’s boom bap trio I’ve been hailing since day dot, … Continue reading “Mighty Mighty; The Scribes Storm the Muck!”
- Dr John Otway Rocks Trowbridge’s PumpBy Lorraine Briggs The last time Otway played Trowbridge was in July 2003 at the Village Pump Festival, he returned last night to a gig … Continue reading “Dr John Otway Rocks Trowbridge’s Pump”