What in the wonderful world of fudge cake is going on here? Aside the appalling attention to primary school grammar, have you ever read such a bizarre Facebook post from a Wiltshire parish council?! Seems like either Rowde Parish Council’s Facebook page has been highjacked by a lone Councillor eager to battle ze Ruskies, Rocky Balboa-style, or the entire council are out to lunch!
It stems from one villager, questioning why the Ukraine flag is flying from their village flagpost, when other invaded country’s flags have not been given the same honour. The opinion comes across rather wonky, I agree this much, only so much space on a flagpole, and in this era where everything sensationised hinges on this one conflict, and refugees of other nations are being shown the door to make way for Ukraine ones instead. When, of course we support the Ukraine refugees and of course we sympathise with their predicament, as we should anyone from any country which has faced such atrocities.
But, this is a tiny Wiltshire village, why has its parish council gone all Tony Blair on us, and taken on the world’s problems when it exists to deliver on local issues, and local issues only?
Would it not have surfficed to just explain to the disgrunted villager the flag is there to show support for the Ukraine refugees, as it should be, and get on with processing farmer Barleymow’s application for a new barn roof, rather than start flaffing on about international politics and picking a side in a conflict which is clearly not as cut and dry as it’s made out to be?
Suggesting the Ukraine was invaded “without provocation” is not only questionable, but is unnecessarily stating which side of the fence a supposedly impartial parish council is on the issue, when there’s no valid reason to cast assertions or get involved at all; that’s the lunacy of the shebang, without regards to the consequences.
Did Putin not threaten to act if we waged retaliation for his invasion? Admittedly he might not be sauntering down Marsh Lane,
browsing Rowde All About It Facebook page, and Russians wouldn’t attack our county anywa….hold on, just got to sneeze… ahhhh-skripallll!…sorry about that, where was I?
Ah yes, it’s a concerning bandwagon to enforce an entire village to jump on, what with a prime minister who willingly handed top secret Nato documents to ex-KGB lieutenant-colonel, Alexander Lebedev, without his security detail or Foreign Office officials, at the height of the Skripal poisoning crisis, hand his son a lifetime peerage in the House of Lords, and still deny Russian money laundering through Londongrad funded Brexit and the Conservative election campaigns despite the Pandora Papers revealling irrefutable evidence it did, because, take a breather…. none of it has anything to do with the day-to-day runnings of a Wiltshire village!
So, a poll is added to the local Facebook group in which 86% said they’re happy to keep the flag flying. All’s fair in love and democracy, I agree with the outcome, but comments flare in a witch hunt for the person who questioned it, calling them a “bully” and the poll even has the option to vote that they’re “unpleasant trouble,” of which a remarkable 1% voted for; could that be our Rocky?! Cue, Eye of the Tiger….
It’s all gone a bit pitchforks at dawn in a sleepy village, in a country of free speech, like a poor man’s reenactment of a Simpsons cartoon.
Forgive me for suggesting it’s neither here nor there for a parish council to involve themselves with international politics, but it does raise a valid point. Rather like Christians wearing a symbolic cross when it’s likely to be the worst symbol Jesus would wish to see if he returned, if I’d been lucky enough to have claimed asylum from escaping a war-torn country, I’d favour facing my new life with a clean sheet, archiving the bad memories, and wouldn’t wish to see the flag of the troubled nation I’d just come from, not in favour for honesty and respect from those around me. But that’s subjective and ill-conceived, thankfully never having to have been in that situation.
In order to fully assess whether flying the Ukraine flag is welcomed by the refugees parhaps actually asking the refugees themselves might be a solution; just a thought. Otherwise, this is isn’t Rowde at all, but Bizarro World!
- Devizes Rotary: Support for Ukrainian Families
- Really Got Me Now; The Roughcut Rebels Storm the Three CrownsPrince Akeem of Zamunda, that’s the bugger, least the fictional character played by Eddie Murphy in Coming to America, who walks over a shower of … Continue reading “Really Got Me Now; The Roughcut Rebels Storm the Three Crowns”
- Sour Apple’s Kate Goes Diva at The PelicanSafe to say, I’m reckoning, we’re now back to full velocity for live music and entertainment in Devizes post-lockdown, and once again, for a small … Continue reading “Sour Apple’s Kate Goes Diva at The Pelican”
- Weird, I Find Myself Agreeing With Danny Kruger Over Station Road Carpark Closure!It’s quite alright, you’ve not entered the Upside Down from Stranger Things, or another theoretical parallel universe. Station Road carpark in Devizes will be closed … Continue reading “Weird, I Find Myself Agreeing With Danny Kruger Over Station Road Carpark Closure!”
- You’ve Only Got Until Monday to Sound Your Opinion on the Devizes School Land Sell-offYou’ve only got until Monday to sound your opinion on the Devizes School land sell-off, the consultation ends Monday 15th August. Go give your verbal … Continue reading “You’ve Only Got Until Monday to Sound Your Opinion on the Devizes School Land Sell-off”
- Weelky Roundup of Events in Wiltshire: 11th-16th AugustThe heat is on, as Glen Frey once said. Whatever did happen to Glen? You don’t have to answer that, we’re here to find out … Continue reading “Weelky Roundup of Events in Wiltshire: 11th-16th August”
- Jon Amor in Residency – August 7th 2022 – The Southgate InnBy Ian Diddams After eight months of being other engaged on the first Sunday of each month, with run throughs of self-authored radio plays, Rugby … Continue reading “Jon Amor in Residency – August 7th 2022 – The Southgate Inn”
- Steeple Ashton Summer Spectacular Fundraising for Motor Neurone Disease Association and OthersSteeple Ashton’s Summer Spectacular at the church paddock on Saturday 10th September promises a three-course street food feast, with an auction from Paul Martin of … Continue reading “Steeple Ashton Summer Spectacular Fundraising for Motor Neurone Disease Association and Others”
- Chippenham MP Boasts about Appearing on Far-Rightwing TV ChannelBeing politically correct, a near-naked rotund fellow with obesity issues mopped his greasy body with a sponge, being certain to cleanse all areas by slipping … Continue reading “Chippenham MP Boasts about Appearing on Far-Rightwing TV Channel”
- Rowde Parish Council Takes on The Kremlin!What in the wonderful world of fudge cake is going on here? Aside the appalling attention to primary school grammar, have you ever read such … Continue reading “Rowde Parish Council Takes on The Kremlin!”